Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the process involved in a typical online ballot count?
- On our end we will create both the public ballot count site and administrative interface for your election.
- We will monitor the site to make sure it stays up and running throughout the entire ballot count process.
- While the ballot count is being conducted, someone on site (usually a person from the community) will update the count on the ballot count website with a simple click of a button
- As votes come in, people can watch the ballots being counted online from their homes or other locations both in the community or anywhere else in the world.
What is needed to set up and run the ballot count?
- This depends a bit on how you want the ballot count to run, but typically you would provide the following:
- You will need to provide us with names and pictures of each candidate as well as information about how the ballot count will work. Make sure to let us know how many votes are permitted on each ballot.
- You will need a computer or laptop with an active Internet connection. If using a laptop a mouse is generally preferred as the person operating it will need to do a lot of clicking (1 click for each vote that comes in).
- You will need to ensure that the counting hall has an Internet connection for you to connect this computer to
- You will need to provide a person to operate the computer while the ballot count is being conducted
- Optional: A projector to project the ballot count to a big screen
- We take care of the technical side of the website setup so you don't need to worry about that
How much notice do we need to give you
- We generally prefer a few weeks notice and cannot guarantee our availability if given less than a month's notice. An extra fee will apply for short notices of under one month.
- It is also important to provide us with all names and pictures at least one week ahead of the ballot count to give us enough time to implement your site and do the proper testing.
What help do you provide?
- We are available by phone, text, and email during the entire ballot count process. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Helping you get your computer setup and connected with our site. This is pretty straight forward and no different from connecting with any other Internet site.
- Helping you test out the software ahead of time so that you know how to use it when the ballot count starts
- Helping you with anything unexpected as the ballot count is underway
- When the ballot count is finished we also double check the official count to make sure it matches what is displayed online
Can you come to our community and run the online ballot count?
- This will depend on the location of your community and our availability on that date. In most cases it would be cheaper for you to hire someone local so that you do not have to pay our travel expenses and accommodations.
How many people will be able to connect to the live ballot count?
- We use high-end servers capable of sustaining millions of connections